Sunday, March 15, 2015

Life Begins - Response by Cristobal Ortega

Margaret Bourke-White is one of my heroes. I find it difficult to respond to this passage of hers mainly because I simply want to absorb all of it. There are a few quotes that I respond to “In general, the farther away I am sent to cover an assignment, the better I like it,” among other gems in her arsenal. Bourke-White is a photographer who exhibits an adventurous spirit who elicits photo essays and stories from working souls in bars, clubs, construction projects, shipping docks, and wherever she went on assignment. I was surprised and intrigued that in her first assignment she brought back photos of daily life as well as the construction project even though she was only assigned to the latter. Who knows how the influences of photojournalism would have been different if photographers had simply done as they were told?

Reading Bourke-White confirms in my mind documentary photography as personal, intimate work that requires a tough body and a gentle, welcoming smile. It is also not surprising to me that Bourke-White writes in storytelling passages, she is coming from a storytelling magazine after all. After looking at more of her work - I realized that her photographs must have inspired New York Times, AP, Getty, VII, and Magnum photographers who click shutters today. The photographs are always undeniably about us, about people and our own interactions with others, or with land and space. The formalist qualities of her photographs are much more about complementing story as a writer uses details and quotes to supplement the main story arc.


Bourke-White is commemorated through Time’s website and some of her photographs are available there to view. From there - I found an album on speakeasies during prohibition. It is one example of many where Bourke-White gained tremendous access and trust with her subjects and photographed them well. In her writing she details the difficulties of photographing as a female and in some contexts, like presidential speeches, she highlights the hierarchies of visual news photographers. She claims moving picture were treated well compared to the Indian caste referencing untouchable still photographers. I cannot imagine how my assignments would be different if I were a woman, but it is enlightening to read about her struggles as a male newsreel photographer would shove her away. I know there are amazing female photojournalists who struggle with patriarchal influences, and I wince every time I hear horror stories about men harassing them.

No comments: