Sunday, March 15, 2015

Ansel Adams: The Eloquent Light

I feel as though, when looking at a photograph, my first thought does not go directly to music. If I am to compare a photograph to another form of art it is always another visual art. Whether it is one of Mat Collishaws still lives that reminds me of 17th Century Dutch painting or it is Weston's Nude that reminds me of Roman Sculpture, I always compare photographs to another kind of visual art. But after reading Nancy Newhall's, Ansel Adams: The Eloquent Light I now see Ansel's work in a whole new light. Knowing that Adams was trained as a concert pianist makes so much sense to me in so many different ways. Whenever you see a print of his the first thing you notice is how perfect it is; the details in the photograph, the print quality and the use of contrast to bring out as much of the scene as possible. That sort of discipline and attention to detail comes from someone who knows that "practice makes perfect" and for a concert pianist that definitely holds true. But then the longer you look and the more you become aware of exactly how his photographs make you feel, you realize that there is something inherently musical about his photographs. There is a sort of harmony, rhythm and melody that you feel and it allows your eye to dance throughout the image in ways that other photographers have no been able to achieve. The ways in which Adams has been able to evoke emotions I have never felt when looking at a photograph is why I believe he is truly one of the best photographers ever and I think because of his ability to appeal to so many audiences I am not alone in that thought.

1 comment:

HopeAbandoned said...

Kaitrin Acuna

I think it's interesting how as a species, we largely group like-senses with like-senses when discussing art, music, and other mediums. For some reason, maybe because I have synesthesia (a brain condition where senses end up cross linked) I always related mediums of one sense to mediums of another without thinking. Or for things less intentionally thought out, a snapshot to a song, a sensation to a song, etc. I think I end up grouping things into categories like fluidity, startling-ness, gentleness, etc instead of vision, taste, or touch. A quote I was reminded of here is one a heard a few years ago when working on a atmosphere/sound/light installation with Brooke Foti, which was "Really great architecture is just frozen music." That seems so true!