Friday, March 13, 2015

Kasia Thomas: A Response to Nancy Newhall's "Ansel Adams: The Eloquent Light"

I am not an art student. I am not a photographer. I'm not even really an art history student. (Does a minor count?) I took this class for my own enjoyment and to learn about something I am not familiar with. As a result, I found this reading to be really refreshing in its focus on letting art speak for itself, as opposed to letting historical context or perceiving the artists intent dictate your impression of the work.

What really struck was the last line, a quotation by Adams himself: "Expressions without doctrine, my photographs are presented here as ends in themselves. images of endless moments of the world." My favorite part about class, and, I suppose, about art is seeing an image in the flesh for the first time. To be able to experience it in that moment, as hanging on the wall instead of, say, a politically charged commentary, is sheer bliss for me. I like to stand before the image and let it make an impression on me -- I lust to feel moved by the artwork in those moments. Then, I approach the image to observe the minutia, the details, allowing myself to be impressed again. I understand Adams' intent and admire this quality. He tries to produce the highest quality work, both technically and aesthetically, instead of sacrificing it to make a comment, like Robert Frank and his blurred snapshots. While there is certainly a place and a need for political artwork, there is also a place in the world of art for pure, unadulterated beauty. I admire Adams for being bold enough to admit that his focus in his work is not political or commentary, but for the purpose of being admired.

1 comment:

HopeAbandoned said...

I agree with Kasia in that I appreciate that Adams admits that he makes work truly to be admired. Often times, as an artist, I feel as though I an unsuccessful because I don't create my work with this undying political message which hopes to change the face of history. As naive and foolish as it may seem, I enjoy creating work for the admiration of its beauty. With every stroke of a pencil or flick of paint I want the viewer to feel my passion for my work. I want them to sit in front of my piece in calm, serene enjoyment of all of its facets, all of its intricacies and hidden wonders. This is what Adam's work does. I think a work is truly amazing if you, as the viewer, can sit in front of it for hours, seeing all the beauty it contains. Sometimes, that, for me, is what makes a piece successful. Not every piece needs an undying message. Not every piece needs to face backlash. Sometimes a piece should just simply exist, and that is what I admire of Ansel Adam's work.
-Morgan Kirol