Thursday, April 23, 2015

Street Photography Tips For the Modern World - Cat Boyce

While reading this article, I couldn't help but put myself exactly in the shoes of the author. I remember when I studied abroad in Florence, we had a street photography assignment. Being in a new place, not speaking the language, I couldn't ask for permission, although in America, I usually don't ask for permission either first because as the author said it cripples the moment. Once a subject knows a camera is on them, their whole demeanor can change. Anyways, I remember being nervous to take street shots because I knew I wouldn't be able to communicate with individuals and I wasn't sure of the culture's view on privacy.  I find myself often questioning, do I take the photo or do I not. More often than not, I will take the photo because it's second nature to me.

I think it is interesting that the author brought up our First Amendments rights, which "protect free speech, which means no law enforcement official can prevent the photography or filming on the street or anywhere else that is considered public property. We all know some cops can get overzealous just because they are the ones with guns and handcuffs." In the article, Are Cameras the New Guns? it pointed out that it is now against the law to photograph cops even in public places. Even in your own self defense, it is against the law to film police officers, which to me seems irrational. I think it is sketchy and wrong that this exists. A cop is still a human and should be held to the same standards of the public. Although, people tend to be more cautious of their actions when on camera, it shouldn't matter at the end of the day. If any other individual can be filmed in a park, then a  cop might as well be filmed too.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cat, I can't imagine being in that position in Florence. I personally have a very difficult time with street photography, and while I found this article to be a nice window into some tips on it, I read it and felt like it just reinforced my feelings that I don't think I could handle certain aspects of it. I'm glad that you brought the "Are Cameras the New Guns?" article into this discussion, because I think that it does a better job of detailing a very real issue with street photography. The author of the Tips article addressed dealing with people who don't want their picture taken, and the potential moments where a police officer may approach you, but I think that the article also somewhat downplayed the reality of some situations that deal with police.

Anonymous said...

I think what you had to say about not being able to photograph or film police officers is exactly right. But I think they should not just be held to the same standards of regular civilians, but they should actually be held to higher standards. They are there to protect us and make sure the law is upheld, which means they should be abiding by the law at all times. Under those assumptions and opinions that I have, being filmed should not hinder their ability to do their job, it should actually help them because with today's technology they know the world could be watching.

Anonymous said...

I completely agree with your sentiment about our rights as citizens to photograph or record police. One thing that I thought of while reading "Are Cameras the New Guns?" was that if the average American is photographed 200 times a day, that would include police officers both on and off duty, they what does it matter if a citizen is directly photographing an officer? Like you said, a cop should be held to the same human standards as everyone else. If anything when they are on duty they should be held to a higher standard and should behave with the utmost decorum, so it shouldn't matter if they are being filmed because they shouldn't be doing anything wrong.