Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Beckman, Karen “Telescopes, Transparency, and Torture: Trevor Paglen and the Politics of Exposure”

Reading and learning a little bit about Trevor Paglen was interesting, because I think it went in a direction we haven’t quite veered in our discussions yet. This article regarding Paglen’s work touched upon some general problems within art history discourse. Beckman references Rosalind Krauss who raises a good point that also came to my mind when studying landscape photography which I agree with (but she does a much better job at articulating). She stated that, “This confusion between topographic images and aesthetic categories… was producing an ‘illegitimate’ academic discourse and ‘a false history’ that left her wondering how to ‘understand the tolerance for the kind of incoherence it produce[d]’” (64). I thought the way this was put made a lot of sense to me; that our language for describing ‘landscape’ photography is limited, because it misleads us into thinking a certain set of rules about its aesthetic. I agree that there is an ‘incoherence’ about this, but I also think that artists such as Paglen creatively and interestingly engage viewers to start a discourse that dismantles and questions ‘landscape’ as we know it, by transforming and appropriating landscapes under different aesthetic conditions. Beckman registers this point, too. “Paglen challenges us to recognize and articulate how his photographs function neither as wannabe paintings nor topographic-scientific photographic documents, although they bear traces of both” (65).
I look forward to discussing him in class, because I am curious to see how others interpret his work. Personally, I am simultaneously intrigued, confused, and unnerved by his images, and think the term, “paranoid/paranormal aesthetics” works well.


No comments: