Monday, April 27, 2015

Omnivore's Dilemma response to "Big Organic"


After reading about the "Big Organic" I learned a lot about many common store brand organic foods that I did not know before. Nearly all of the information that I learned from this chapter came to me with disgust. Before reading this, I had my doubts about how organic "Organic" food really was, but not the extent that I learned about. When I learned that "free-range" chickens are only open to the outside world for 2/7 weeks of their lives, I felt disgust for the USDA standards and policies. I'd like to believe that the majority of people who choose to eat organic are doing so because they have are trying to avoid any practices that may be seen as inhumane. It is also very misleading that grocery stores like whole foods create untruthful narrations of what the consumers food is by displaying photographs of small farms, when in reality, industrialized “big organic” farms are not far off from non-organic farms. For example, Pollan discovers that the organic cows are fed organic corn but live lives very similar to non-organic cows. 

No comments: